Mathematics and its application in the physical world.
- Authors: Reddy, Inbavathee
- Date: 2009-02-05T07:11:55Z
- Subjects: mathematics teachers , mathematics study and teaching
- Type: Thesis
- Identifier: uj:8081 , http://hdl.handle.net/10210/2010
- Description: M.Ed. , The method used in the classroom is thought to have an effect on the learners learning the purpose/use of mathematics in their environment. Many see mathematics as a set of signs and symbols that are meaningless in their lives. The manner, in which mathematics is taught in the classroom, extends the thought of learners in believing that mathematics is a compulsory learning area that is required to be passed in order for them to proceed to the next grade. Meanwhile, the learners may be oblivious to the contribution mathematics can make in their lives. One of the major contributory factors for this kind of thought is that mathematics is not taught in a way that helps learners understand its purpose/use in society. Thus, meaningless learning is perpetuated because of the approach in the classroom. If educators could alter their methodology in the classroom, then learners would be able to make sense of the subject and so apply the knowledge in their environment when the need arises. One of the ways to do this is to ensure that educators engage in meaningful and relative teaching. The research for this study was based on the questionnaire and observation instruments. The target was primary school learners from grades five, six and seven, who were required to answer a closed questionnaire based on their understanding of the relevance of mathematics to their environment. The aim was to see how the educators’ methodology affected the learners’ understanding of mathematics. Educators were also given questions along the same lines, with their lessons observed and observations recorded, according to an observation protocol. The conclusion that the researcher reached was that learners were not taught in a purposeful manner that might assist them in understanding and applying mathematics to their environment. Whatever they learnt or were taught in the classroom was in isolation, that is, there was minimal, if any, integration into other learning areas. One possible solution to this problem can be that the educators need to change their teaching strategies. Some of the possible strategies that they could use are cooperative learning, problem solving, the constructivist approach to teaching or an amalgamation of more than one strategy to obtain the outcomes. In effect, if learners are made to realize the relevance of mathematics consciously; their mindset towards learning it will be more welcoming and accepting of it. Understanding forms the foundation for application, and therefore if the problems in the classroom relate to the learners’ experiences in their environment, then mathematics becomes meaningful to them and in turn becomes usable.
- Full Text:
Perceptions of primary school principals about the assessment of learner performance in mathematics within outcome based education.
- Authors: Mdluli, Manono Angeline
- Date: 2008-10-14T07:08:01Z
- Subjects: competency based education , elementary school principals , rating of students , academic achievement evaluation , South Africa , mathematics study and teaching
- Type: Thesis
- Identifier: uj:11942 , http://hdl.handle.net/10210/1166
- Description: M.Ed. , The transformasieproses in Suid-Afrika met die instelling van Uitkomsgebaseerde Onderwys, asook die implementering van die Nasionale Assesseringsbeleid tesame met snelle ontwikkeling in die onderrig en leer van wiskunde, het ‘n veranderde siening van die skoolhoof se rol, funksie en verantwoordelikhede teweeg gebring. Een omvattende verandering vir die skoolhoof is om te verseker dat ‘n skool gehalte onderrig en leer voorsien en in stand hou. Die tranformasie in die onderwys het daartoe aanleiding gegee dat die navorser ondersoek ingestel het na die persepsies van skoolhoofde ten opsigte van die assessering van leerderprestasie in wiskunde binne die Uitkomsgebaseerde Onderwysparadigma. Hierdie navorsig gee die verskillende persepsies wat laerskoolhoofde oor die aard van wiskunde en die assessering van leerderprestasie in wiskunde het. ‘n Kwantitatiewe navorsingsmetode is gebruik om skoolhoofde se persepsies oor die assessering van leerderprestasie in wiskunde te identifiseer. Tesame hiermee het ‘n literatuuroorsig die raamwerk vir die ondersoek voorsien. Die doel van die navorsing was om die persepsies onderliggend aan skoolhoofde se bestuur van assesseringshandelinge te identifiseer. ‘n Gestruktureerde vraelys is as navorsingsinstrument gebruik. Die sleutelbevindings van hierdie navorsing was dat laerskoolhoofde uiteenlopende persepsies van die aard van wiskunde en die assessering van leerderprestasie in wiskunde het. Hulle persepsies van die aard van wiskunde spruit uit die manier waarop hulleself in wiskunde onderrig is, die manier waarop hulle geassesseer is, en hulle oortuigings en houdings oor wiskunde en assessering. Die volgende sleutelaspekte het uit hulle persepsies van die assessering van leerderprestasie in wiskunde en hulle rol om te verseker dat gehalte onderwys voorsien word, na vore gekom: • ‘n Gebrek aan begrip vir die aard van wiskundige kennis. • ‘n Gebrek aan begrip van die essensie van uitkomsgebaseerde assessering. • Beperkte kennis en begrip van hedendaagse sienings oor die onderrig en leer van wiskunde. Ten slotte is dit duidelik dat deur opleiding en ontwikkelingsprogramme en sterk ondersteuningstrukture, skoolhoofde ondersteun kan word om die assessering van leerderprestasie doeltreffend te bestuur en die voorsiening van gehalte onderrig en leer in wiskunde te verseker. , Mr. D.R. Mestry
- Full Text:
Die integrering van uitkomsgerigte onderwys en kooperatiewe leer as ondersteuningsmeganisme vir wiskunde-onderrig by kolleges.
- Authors: Volschenk, David Eduan
- Date: 2009-02-27T07:12:48Z
- Subjects: competency based education , group work in education , mathematics study and teaching
- Type: Thesis
- Identifier: uj:8191 , http://hdl.handle.net/10210/2195
- Description: M.Ed. , The central focus of the study is the development of guidelines and the creation of a implementation model for the integration of Outcomes Based Education (hereafter referred to as OBE) and Cooperative learning. The purpose of both the guidelines and the implementation model is to assist colleges with the implementation of the Education Strategy of the National Department of Education as proposed by the Minister of Education. A literature study was initiated through the identification of a problem area. A problem statement was formulated, followed by determining a working methodology which was to be followed during the execution of the study. During the study as well as the development stages of the implementation model, both OBE and Cooperative learning remained the central focus. By means of a literature study both the focus points were highlighted by the emphasis on the integration of OBE and Cooperative learning. The literature study was followed by a quantitative empirical study. The study was supported by the development of a qualitative data gathering instrument. The empirical study was conducted at 3 colleges. The purpose of the empirical study was to determine the extend to which lecturers were employing OBE and Cooperative learning in the Mathematics classes. The research data forthcoming from the empirical study were analysed. During this analysis the focus fell on specifically six points. The six points were the following: • What level of understanding do the respondents have of OBE and Cooperative learning? • What level of training have respondents undergone pertaining to OBE and Cooperative learning? • Does the need exist among respondents to implement OBE and Cooperative learning in their Mathematics classes? • Are respondents capable of implementing OBE and Cooperative learning in their Mathematics classes? • How often are OBE and Cooperative learning used by the respondents in the Mathematics classes? • Is there a need among respondents for further training in OBE and Cooperative learning? The analysis was followed by an elaborate discussion of the above mentioned points to ensure the data acquired were understood and correctly interpreted. This allowed the researcher to draw certain conclusions, which in turn, along with personal experience, were used to make recommendations with respect to the integration of OBE and Cooperative learning as teaching approaches in Mathematics classes.
- Full Text: