Die eksterne skoolkonsultant as agent vir skoolverbetering
- Authors: Odendaal, Rene Marais
- Date: 2012-08-13
- Subjects: Consultants - South Africa , School improvement programs - South Africa , Effective teaching - South Africa
- Type: Thesis
- Identifier: uj:9055 , http://hdl.handle.net/10210/5518
- Description: D.Ed. , The new millennium is considered to be a period of empowered social change, having profound implications for schooling. The transformation of education in present-day South Africa emphasises the need for quality education for all. This is necessary in order to be able to meet the challenges of the new millennium. Thus even the most competent educational institutions are forced to improve and change in order to keep up with worldwide innovations. As the poor matric results of the last decade indicate, it seems that schools' performance is not up to standard. It became increasingly clear that certain factors precipitated the pathological situation in schools and that assistance and interventions are required. The main focus of this study is to establish what schools can do in order to improve and become more effective. It is well known that schools in South Africa are facing a crisis. South Africa's education system is therefore compelled to find solutions against the idiosyncratic backdrop of the country's unique socio-economic and socio-political problems. In order to develop a world-class education system suitable of meeting the challenges of the 21' century, school improvement seems necessary. The problem investigated by this study was: How can schools improve with the help, advice and expertise of external agents, namely school consultants. In order to improve schools there must be various agents or participants who must be actively involved and play a part in any reform process. These role players have been identified as: the school principal, teachers, parents and learners. However, it became clear that the subjective involvement of these protagonists is not sufficient to contribute towards a significant educational improvement endeavour. The aim of this study is to analyse and describe how schools can improve through the expert advice and contribution of external school consultants. This aim was realised by: undertaking a theoretical investigation in the form of a literature study; undertaking an empirical, qualitative investigation in order to establish in what way the assistance of an objective advisor in the form of a consultant, can contribute to improving the intricate problems currently facing schools. During this qualitative investigation it was established that: South Africa has problems endemic to this country which precipitate pathology at school level; The main role players in schools are not sufficiently equipped to initiate change; External consultants as change and improvement agents are a solution suggested by international literature; If consultation is done in a professional, ethically correct manner it can indeed lead to school improvement.
- Full Text:
Management of district support for higher school productivity
- Authors: Malgas, Winston Burton
- Date: 2012-09-11
- Subjects: School management and organization - South Africa , Educational productivity - South Africa , School districts - South Africa - Management , Effective teaching - South Africa
- Type: Thesis
- Identifier: uj:10015 , http://hdl.handle.net/10210/7406
- Description: D.Ed. , Die doel met die navorsing was om te bepaal wat konstitueer produktiwiteit in Suid -Afrikaanse skole en in watter mate distriks - amptenare produktiwiteit in skole kan verbeter. Die historiese agtergrond en veranderinge in Suid-Afrika gekoppel aan die tekort van resente navorsing in die veld, het verdere navorsing genoodsaak, ten einde huidige tendense gekoppel aan produktiwiteit binne die Suid-Afrikaanse skool konteks sowel as die distrik te kon identifiseer. `n Literatuurstudie was onderneem ten einde agtergrond te verkry rakende produktiwiteit in skole en distrik se rol daarin. Die ontrafeling van verskeie aspekte rakende produktiwiteit in skoolverband en hoe distriksamptenare produktiwiteitsvlakke in skole kan verhoog was ook nagevors. Die literatuurstudie het die belangrikheid van die skoolbestuurder in sy/haar rol beklemtoon asook die rol van opvoeders in die verbetering van produktiwiteits vlakke in skole. Die literatuurstudie het ook verder die belangrikheid van distriks amptenare en hul ondersteunning in skole beklemtoon, wat aanleiding kan gee tot produktiwiteits verbetering in skole.
- Full Text: