Learning "disabilities" and family dynamics : an orthopedagogical perspective
Kommunikasiepatrone by gesinne met 'n geïdentifiseerde skisofreniese lid
- Authors: Swartz, J.F.
- Date: 2014-02-13
- Subjects: Parent and child , Schizophrenics , Domestic relations
- Type: Thesis
- Identifier: uj:3945 , http://hdl.handle.net/10210/9306
- Description: M.A. (Psychology) , Communication patterns were studied in four families, each possessing an identified schizophrenic member'. Traditional and current concepts about schizophrenia and various theories about communication were reviewed. Adistinction was made between healthy and pathological communication. The family as a communicational unit was discussed in the light of general systems theory. An extensive survey of family studies of schizophrenia was undertaken. From this review of research three general questions emerged on which the hypotheses of this study are founded. The questions are: (a) To what extent is pathological communication found in families with an identified schizophrenic member? (b) To what extent is the absence of healthy communication found in these families? (c) What indications can be found that the combination of different communication patterns is unique for each of these families? In this thesis healthy communication is defined as the presence of adequate levels of empathy, warmth and congruence among the family members. These levels were measured on three rating scales measuring empathy, warmth and congruence respectively. Pathological communication is delineated here as the effort to avoid the definition of relationships, coupled with enmeshment between family members and the unclear definition of power relations in the family. This communication was measured by a process analysis of the family's interaction. The results of the measurements of healthy and pathological communication were taken together to assess whether different combinations of communication patterns could be found when the families were compared with each other...
- Full Text:
Indikatore vir huwelikstevredenheid met die oog op die bevordering van huweliksverhoudings
- Authors: Naude, Annemarie
- Date: 2015-03-02
- Subjects: Communication in marriage , Domestic relations , Interpersonal relations
- Type: Thesis
- Identifier: uj:13406 , http://hdl.handle.net/10210/13415
- Description: Francisco- La Grange, F.H., Prof. , Despite the high divorce rate in South Africa marriage is still a sought after social institution and many potential couples have high expectations upon entering marriage. The continuation of marriage rather than its breakdown awakes the special interest of the candidate. She reasons that marital satisfaction is a significant determinant in the continuation of a marriage and she is keen to identify some indicators of marital satisfaction. She furthermore envisages strategies in social work intervention by means of which the public could be sensitized to marital satisfaction. Methodology In this essay research is in essence explorative, particularly in the sense that it is an attempt to initiate a new conseptualization of a phenomenon. The following methodology was used: A literature study exploring the nature of the marriage relationship; characteristics which indicate marital satisfaction and the philosophy and methodology of research. Consultation with specialists in the field of marital relationships and marriage counselling. The research enabled the candidate to identify the following indicators: Constructive communication between the spouses. Skilled handling of conflict. Characteristics of the spouses. A relatively compatible value system. Sexual fulfilment. Socio-economic security. Premarital factors. The influence of children.
- Full Text: