Summary-view : biomass anaerobic respiration technology in South Africa
- Authors: Manala, Cecil , Madyira, Daniel , Mbohwa, Charles , Shuma, Ruben
- Date: 2016
- Subjects: Anaerobic respiration , Bio-digester , Biogas
- Language: English
- Type: Conference proceedings
- Identifier: http://hdl.handle.net/10210/217135 , uj:21602 , Citation: Manala, C. et al. 2016. Summary-view : biomass anaerobic respiration technology in South Africa.
- Description: Abstract: This paper reports on a biomass anaerobic decomposition technologies with particular reference to South Africa as a developing country taking strides on green energy production in an effort to lower the carbon foot print and preserve the environment. It explores the utilisation, implementation and operation of biomass anaerobic respiration technology in the production of biogas as an emerging alternative energy source. This review is a summary of different aspects of the design and operation of small-scale, household, biogas digester technologies. It covers different biomass anaerobic technology projects, both small and large scale (municipal solid waste, abattoirs, farms, wastewater treatment facilities) currently in operation and under construction in the republic of South Africa from the introduction of the technology through to the current generation of the technology. This also includes projects that were visited during the City of Johannesburg-University of Johannesburg waste to energy project capacity building exercise. Various efforts have been made in the past to assess the feasibility of the application of biogas technology in South Africa. These are identified mainly by reviewing the available literature. Recommendations are made on how best to tackle biogas production challenges and promote the notion of biogas production in South Africa.
- Full Text: false
Waste to energy bio-digester selection and design model for the organic fraction of municipal solid waste
- Authors: Matheri, Anthony Njuguna , Mbohwa, Charles , Ntuli, Freeman , Belaid, Mohamed , Seodigeng, Tumisang , Ngila, Jane Catherine , Njenga, Cecilia Kinuthia
- Date: 2017
- Subjects: Anaerobic digestion , Bio-digester , Mesophilic temperature
- Language: English
- Type: Article
- Identifier: http://hdl.handle.net/10210/250904 , uj:26157 , Citation: Matheri, A.N. et al. 2017. Waste to energy bio-digester selection and design model for the organic fraction of municipal solid waste.
- Description: Abstract: Please refer to full text to view abstract
- Full Text: